Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lost in Translation

I expected to encounter some cultural differences situation in Bangkok since I had been living in the US for over 10 years, but not at the Starbucks. Here what happened;

SEAN: May I have (in Thai) a Grande Coffee ? (in English)

Barista #1: (Make a question mark face and grab another barista)

SEAN: May I have (in Thai) a Grande Coffee ? (in English)

Barista #2: Do you want black coffee ? (in Thai)

SEAN: Yes

Barista #2 talks to Barista #3: One Americano. (in Thai)
SEAN: No, I want (in Thai) Grande Coffee, not Americano (in English).

Then, Barista #2 understood what I meant to order and told me the name of "blend of the day"

SEAN: Whatever you have is fine. I'll take that. (in Thai)


It took 3 baristas and 5 mins later before I finally got my coffee.

2 comments:

Niel said...

Now..some country uses sightly different terms like blend of the day used to be called Coffee of The Day...and I was so used to ordering COD...then they give you this puzzled face. Oh well.

we could grow up 2gether said...

HIGHlarious